Troy's Blog

My photo
I'm just a typical Dad. I have a good wife of 20+ years and 2 good kids. All 3, at times, contribute to my hair graying or falling out.

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

My Bridges

I finally have my bridges mostly completed. These are the 4 I made. They are mainly made out of pieces cut, trimmed, and sanded from much larger pieces. 1x3 and 1x4 pine boards trimmed to 1/4x1/4 or 1/8 by 1/8. Of course there were some purchased; the round ones for example or if I needed some that had to be absolutely straight.

The first one was the most time consuming with the most pieces. It isn't perfectly straight yet. That's the nice thing about using hot glue instead of wood glue. If you need to straighten something out, just pop it into the microwave for 10-15 seconds and it is easy to reshape. Obviously you have to wait until the wife is out of the house to do this.....it might not go over so well.

The 2nd is the most creative that I tried. This is the one where I wet the wood and clamped it to the pizza pan to bake for 15-20 minutes at 200 to get the curved shape. By the way, mother was gone when I tried that, too.

#3 was the easiest and quickest. All straight pieces - very simple. This one I am going to name the Barack Obama Memorial Bridge - details to follow.
#4 is the most frustrating. I worked and worked to get all the pieces exactly the same size, level, square, etc., etc., etc. As I tightened each of the cables, it pulled the upward supports closer and closer together.....not noticing that until it was too late. Even the oven trick won't work on this one. So if you look quickly, you'll never notice that it is not even. I ran the cables through eye hooks and twisted the eye hooks to tighten the cables. Under the bridge is a huge mess of cables and eye hooks - not very neatly done. But as they say in Japan - its a bridge. The only thing left for all 4 is painting - suggestions for colors are welcome. I'm thinking #1 will be weathered brown or left as is, #2 will be silver to look like a dull aluminum, #3 will be a flat black to look like painted steel, and #4, I'm not sure. The silver cables will be left as it. Weathered red, gray/white, blue gray....suggestions?????

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow ,Troy, they look great. Looks like a lot of work. I am impressed. Now to me this would be like sewing, you don't want to be around when I am doing it. Can't wait to see the whole setup.

KJ said...

Very nice Conductor Troy. They turned out really well. You are so talented. I think the last bridge should be the color of the Golden Gate Bridge - International Orange. Can't wait to see the whole setup.

KJ said...

WHAT?!!? Is my last line the exact same thing mom wrote? OMG, I'm turning into my mother right before our eyes.
Phone ringing...'Yellow?'

Anonymous said...

KJ...first....yes, you are turning into your mother. That I've noticed a long time ago. Second...International orange. International as in multi nations or the orange tractor? Both are orange and it doesn't make any difference because I'm not painting it that color....just curious.

Troy

KJ said...

The official color of the Golden Gate Bridge is International Orange. Even though it looks red, that is the official color. Google it.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm, wouldn't that be more of a "Golden" color?

I've already painted it Case Red so I guess you can call it International Orange if you want. My other options were Pink Cadillac, Ford Blue, JD Green, or CAT Yellow.

Anonymous said...

So the problem is??????????????

Anonymous said...

KJ....the problem is KJ

Debra said...

We think you should be working for an engineering firm like Wood, Wood and Woody. Very Impressive.