Troy's Blog

My photo
I'm just a typical Dad. I have a good wife of 20+ years and 2 good kids. All 3, at times, contribute to my hair graying or falling out.

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Priceless

Since I bought my motorcycle earlier this summer, I've been wanting to take it somewhere fun to drive. The flats of Fargo aren't that scenic - Duluth and the Black Hills come to mind first. I'm not one for hours of interstate riding on a motorcycle so naturally, I'd have to haul it. Hauling it would involve two options - buying a pickup ($$$$$) or buying a trailer ($). The fewer ($) present, the better it'd fly at home so I decided to go with the trailer option.

I started looking at new trailers; anywhere from $400 to $1,700. For $400 you got two small wheels and a frame made of Erector Set material. For $1,700 the trailer loaded itself. I was looking for something UNDER $300. All the used ones I could find in that range had been welded and badly reinforced or needed so much welding that I wasn't sure if I'd make it home with them.

It has been said a million times when out shopping for something....I can make it myself cheaper than that. Knowing that this is always(?) true, I got the bright idea of making one. That seemed like it'd get expensive in a hurry as well (the sum of the parts is greater than that of the whole theory). Scratch that idea. I'm not sure why so many of my ideas get scratched...I must be related to Ty (my brother).

After all these ideas, I read about people converting boat trailers to utility trailers. Larger wheels, heavy frames, axles rated for higher pounds...YES, that's it. And boat trailers are picked up fairly easily toward the end of summer - abundant and cheap.

So I began looking for those. As soon as one went up for sale, I'd call to look at it but it had already been sold. Or the trailer wasn't built like I needed it. It had to be a flat frame, not a bowed frame. Finally one Sunday, minutes before we were to leave for church, one popped up on the Internet. I emailed the party saying I'd be there right after church and to call me. Looking further at the picture, it was exactly what I wanted. I e-mailed again saying never mind...I'LL TAKE IT - call me - evening during church. I turned my phone on vibrate, sat at the end of the pew, and at the back....no call, no call, no call. Great...someone else bought it, I thought. Luckily I got a call as soon as church was out - I was the first to respond to their posting so had first chance at it - Divine Intervention, I'm sure! By now, it was dark (we'd gone to the Sunday night service). I immediately drove to the trailer, looked it over, and damn near pissed myself with excitement as I handed the seller the cash. Exactly what I wanted!!

Of course, during this whole "looking for a trailer" process, my family had become bored and resentful of my struggles. They were all extremely excited that I'd finally found something. Upon bringing it home, honestly, you could see the disappointment in their eyes as they walked into the garage to see the FAMILY'S new trailer - yes, I was willing to share my prize. It was a 16' Lund boat trailer with all the trimmings. Roller arms, rollers, pads, guides, and a winch.....all necessary for a boat trailer, but not a motorcycle trailer.

The first thing I did was take off all the unnecessary items and reposition the hitch. There, it looked like a heavy duty jet ski trailer. I won't bore you with the constant harassing comments from the kids; let's just say they still weren't impressed. I moved it to the back yard so we could have our garage back and explained to the neighbors that, no, I was not going to hang a Sanford and Son sign in our yard.....at this time we had 7 licensed modes of transportation - but that's a story for another time.

I loved (notice the past tense verbiage) this trailer; it was heavy duty but easy to move, well balanced and sturdy, step fenders and brand new 14" tires, and only $150 - what a steal....did these people know what they'd sold and how much more they could have gotten?

Labor Day weekend....I should repack or replace the wheel bearings. A boat trailer - the bearings had been submersed in water countless times. A fresh start wouldn't hurt.

Thursday night, I went to the back yard to loosen the lug nuts and make sure they weren't rusted on. "What the hell.....the lug nuts aren't the same size on each side". Upon further inspection, there was a reason it looked good - IN THE DARK!. At one time the axle had snapped and been welded on....but how good of a weld was it? With any weight and the right bump, would the whole thing fold in half somewhere miles from anywhere with my precious cargo strewn about. And the right hub was sealed, cleverly I might add, with a Mountain Dew can and a Coke can. Hmmmm.....and from there the $ started turning into $$ + $ + $ .

Now remember, I can buy what I deemed as the perfect NEW trailer for $900 at a dealer just out of Minneapolis. But Noooooooo.......I can build one for cheaper! Let's go down the checkbook register.

WARNING:

1) IF YOUR NAME IS SHIRLEY, AND YOU'RE MY WIFE, PLEASE STOP READING HERE.

2) IF YOU ARE MY KIDS, AND YOU READ THIS, YOU WILL KEEP ALL COMMENTS TO YOURSELF OR I WILL SELL YOUR CARS TO PAY FOR THIS TRAILER.

Trailer - a STEAL at $150

New axle and hubs - a lesson learned but still within budget - $150

Iron and welding to add a base and convert the "V" trailer to a square - excellent craftsmanship, hired out, not mine - $250

Iron to make the square back into a "V" as it looks better (this is starting to add up in $$) $25

Iron to make sides on top of the frame - needed $75

Labor for the last two - free so far....Thank you Ty for doing 75% of this part. I owe you.

Lumber for the floor and sides - well, I got a Fleet Farm charge card out of the deal and saved 10% plus got deferred interest- $200

Bolts and misc. clamps, clasps, tie downs, etc. (hopefully Ma doesn't see the Fleet Farm charge card bill) - $100

Primer, paint, and stain - we painted our first house for less than this but I need to protect my investment - it may soon be MY house - $75 (when exactly does that Fleet Farm bill come in the mail - could I have it sent to work instead of home?)

Lights - gotta be legal when I have to add a topper and live in my new trailer - $50

By now this thing is so damn heavy, I can barely roll it downhill. I'm going to need a trailer dolly for the front - $50 (or a chiropractor adjustment every time I move it at $35 each; opt for the $50 dolly).

Hours spent on this...I know it's well over 60. Taking it apart, putting it together, sanding, priming, painting, measuring, cutting lumber, wiring, etc. No fee....lots of experience

Flowers for the wife because she won't have stopped reading when she was told to $25

Bribery for the kids to quit bringing it up in front of their mother.....$25 x2

To review:

Unauthorized budget request - under $300

New trailer - $900

Reconditioned boat trailer that I got for cheap and would be an inexpensive "do it yourself" project - to date, over $1,200.

Proving to my wife and family that, yes, once again, I am right, I can build this for cheaper than I can buy it - not sure; had it happened....possibly priceless?

KJ....we'll be there next weekend, need anything hauled?

6 comments:

dewitzclan said...

Only $25 for the flowers - I think you better up that budget! :-)

mim said...

When you are living in your trailer, make sure you have an electrical cord and maybe a heat blanket to keep yourself from freezing this winter. Make that a long cord as you might have to sneak into some place and get plugged in. Good luck.

mom said...

That should read MOM. I am in the dark and goofed on the right letter.

KJ said...

Will it haul a casket? Because if it can, Shirley may have a use for it.

Laurel said...

You know - last time I was home, I saw about 3 old pick-up boxes sitting around...
I would love to hear Shirley's version of this story!

阪神ジュベナイルフィリーズ said...

阪神ジュベナイルフィリーズ 2010を徹底予想!!過去の結果やデータから分かる高配当の法則…出走馬の状態などを現地のスタッフからお届けします!