Troy's Blog

My photo
I'm just a typical Dad. I have a good wife of 20+ years and 2 good kids. All 3, at times, contribute to my hair graying or falling out.

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Fits Like a Glove

Shirley & Kristi were watching the National FFA Convention on TV Friday night. Of course Jeff, Sean, & Kaitlyn pretended like they were not interested but we know better. So Saturday night's conversation revolved around our FFA jackets. (I was in Fargo while the rest of my family was in Mpls - so this involved a couple of phone calls).

Kristi apparently had her jacket on and I heard some bragging about how well it still fit. Not to be outdone, I took mine out of it's garment bag for a look see. The first thing I noticed, besides the fact that it is a lot smaller than anything else in my closet, is the garment bag. It is dated 1976 "America's Bi-Centennial". However the buttons from the National Convention were more modern. One dated 1983 and one 1984. Shirley & I met at the November 1983 convention in Kansas City, MO. Yes, that is 25 years ago. Back to the fitting. Of course I could get it zipped! Was there ever any doubt? I had to have my camera close though as I could not bend, breath or turn. Ignore the sweat pants. I was only trying to prove a point, not actually going out of the house. In case you can't read the jacket, it says "President" below my name. I think that is what attracted Shirley. She likes the authoritative type.
In all honesty, it was a little snug. One of the pictures I took had the cross that hangs in our hallway in the background so I better not lie...... I didn't think I was going to get the damn thing zipped. I was packed so tight into that blue jacket that my man boobs have corduroy grooves in them. When I went to unzip my jacket (as I was about to pass out), I raised my left hand and it was actually numb. Oh, well, it looks way too formal zipped up. I like the loose gangsta look anyway! I know today's plastic zippers would never had held all that muscle inside. Now that I think of it, all of my pins were on the inside, that is why it was just a little tight. One other note, - back then my glasses were a lot bigger and I had more hair. Since 1984 I've downsized the glasses and hair and apparently up sized the body. I'm going to go have a bowl of ice cream - with extra toppings - just to celebrate the fact that I can wear clothes that I wore 25 years ago!







6 comments:

KJ said...

I think it would be a fair assessment to say that it is no longer called a jacket, but rather...a sausage casing.

Anonymous said...

Troy, thanks for the laugh of the day. You look like you forgot to breathe. I am glad the zipper held and did not blow up. You might want to wear your jacket to work just to show your co-workers how fit and spiffy you are.

Anonymous said...

I would like to give you an assessment on Jimmy Dean's behalf(AKA Troy). Kristi when you are also approaching 50 years old I hope you too are able to suck it up and wear your FFA Jacket. I also think Mom meant she was glad that the zipper held and YOU did not blow up.

Ty

KJ said...

Where's your picture Ty???

Anonymous said...

Troy, you look like you are in a lot of pain. The jacket must be a wee-bit tight. Maybe Grandma Lucille can alter it for you.

Tammy

Debra said...

that glove is pretty darn small isn't it
Justin